Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Weird Noise from Engine

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Are you talking about that low-rumble beyond the usual cam/tappet noise?

Either exhaust gasket or noisy throw-out/roller bearing - didn't say if yours was an Auto and Manual. So since you're on the crank pulley side, I'd look into exhaust onto a bad motor mount making the rumble from the vibration.

To help determine if it's the motor mount - try pushing/pulling on the motor carefully - rocking it to see in the noise changes tone and loudness. If it goes away, the issue is most likely a motor mount or loose hardware for it.

OP
X

XAkira

City
Chelmsford
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
Ok. I will give rocking it a try. Also, it’s a manual, this is my first post and forgot to mention it. Thanks.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Oh your good, because if the manual side (transmission side) has a noisy bearing - the "echo" can show up thru the length of that crankshaft - and you hear it louder thru the open pulley side versus the covered housing the bearing rolls in.

You might need to get under the car while it's running to check and verify the source of that noise.

OP
X

XAkira

City
Chelmsford
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #5
I also forgot to mention this noise only happens at idle or when the car is moving I can’t hear it due to regular engine noise.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That rumble seems to be a type of resonance - so it can can be from the motor mounts or the exhaust and it's hangers, so try to get some time to reproduce the noise and try to pin down the location and source of the noise. At idle - try to get under the passenger side and see up towards the exhaust manifold - watch for moving engine parts ok!? - it might be from an exhaust hanger that is weak and makes the rumble, at least listen for it and smell the air - does it have an exhaust odor like raw exhaust? Then a seal and the springs used to keep the seal are weak. So that would means a loose exhaust system - but it would also rattle and clunk as the vehicle shifted up and down as you adjusted speed and the transmission placed torque on the motor end engine mounts. (Trying to keep you thinking of all the other options not mentioned yet, as to that source of noise)