Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

P0340 and P0365 after water pump replacement

Spendoza

City
Waterford
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2012 ford fiesta
Hello friends.

2012 Ford Fiesta (standard edition automatic transmission w/ ac)

I had to replace the water pump. What a nightmare, but I did it.

Had a rough startup, but I drove around the cul-de-sac ok.
Went a little further and it started shifting weird (brief grind/crunch on shift)

Now it's throwing up these codes. Not sure where to start (also, its Sunday).

I checked all the connectors, cleaned the sensors and made sure my ground lead had a solid connection.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When you replaced that water pump - the codes are for the camshaft sensors Intake and Exhaust so the codes reflect that the belt is either slipping - because the gear that is on the Crankshaft is loose and needs to be replaced or the belt when it was put on the cams and crankshaft were not "zeroed" (TDC Cyl number 1).

So if the pulley was removed to remove the belt - that gear is damaged and has to be thrown out - it's slipping on the crankshaft so it can't keep timing right. When that gear cog is put on, that pressure the crank pulley bolt puts on it, crushes the inner metal of it to the crankshaft - holding it in place. If it "jumps time" and sets these codes that gear or the cams (or both) are not able to turn as one unit. So this needs one more try - but only if you did not remove or loosen the crank pulley bolt. Else if you did that, you Need to put a new one on - and set the crank to Cylinder #1 TDC, the Cams to TDC - and the belt put on, then the crank pulley tightened down to hold it all fast to the crankshaft.

You'll have to use a set of tools to hold the crank in place while the belt is slipped on and the cams and their advance are kept in place using a plate that once the cams are set to TDC the plate acts as the stay and lets you put the belt on. These tools are in a kit you can get thru Amazon or Alibaba.

IF the belt was kept, you still could have moved the cams so now they have to be rezeroed - it means you'll have to take off that cover and reset the crank and the cams to Cylinder #1 TDC so the system can then find the proper firing order.

IF this happens again, then the gear that the belt uses to turn the belt from the crankshaft needs to be replaced.