Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Overheating and Fan Issues

Kold78

City
St. Augustine
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
I own a 2014 Fiesta with 67k miles. I was sitting in the parking lot when my AC started blowing warm air and my car started to overheat. I turned the heater on to bring the temperature down and drove it hope. When I got home I realized the fan wasn't working, (even when the AC was turned on). My car will stay within normal temps and my AC will blow cold air if I am moving. The AC only blows warm air when I'm at a standstill and the car only overheats if I am sitting at a standstill with the AC turned on.

I replaced the fuse and relay but it didn't have any effect. I assumed my fan had went bad again, (I had it replaced at 37k miles due to failure), so I replaced the fan. I tested the old fan when I pulled it and it was also in working order. My next step was to to bleed the coolant from the valve located at the top of the radiator and it still had no effect. I'm at a loss to what could be causing the issue. Someone told me to replace the coolant sensor so that will be my next step. I am a little confused though, would a coolant sensor stop the fan from coming on when the AC is turned on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
If you’re low on coolant such that coolant isn’t reaching the sensor, the sensor won’t know the engine’s running hot. IIRC the ECT sensor serves the ECU, fan control logic and dash temp display so if the display says it’s overheating, the fan control circuit should know to run the fan.

Some Fiestas have a fan controller at the bottom of the fan shroud. Mine doesn’t. You might check if yours does.

Sixto
2014 SE 1.6 hatchback 135K miles

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Your Fan uses a ground wire that bolts to the FRAME under the Left front headlight - the frame is the piece that looks like a bent tube rail that you see when you pull the Left front tire off - the wire bolts to the inside - engine side - just below the Headlight.

I thought I had a photo of it here on the site - but here's another look...
1723326840215.png

You won't see it easy unless you're under the car and by the Windshield washer tank and pump. There you can find the Bolt and the main ground wire from the front harness to lights FAN and the sensors - check this wire and make sure it's still connected and you have electrical ground - test it - make sure it's the same ohmic result as the battery NEGATIVE cable - at the connector for the FAN.

Then if that can't fix it, check the RELAYS for it at the main Fuse block in the engine compartment.

You may hasve a multiple break in the connections so at least you have a starting point.

OP
K

Kold78

City
St. Augustine
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
Thank you, that's awesome information that I haven't seen anywhere. I will check this next. I really appreciate it!

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Darn, now this happened to me. Someone else driving the car. Drove 3 miles from cold start, display alerted to high temp, lost power. Turned off AC, it cooled down and was fine for 3 mile drive home. Coolant level is fine and fan runs at idle with AC compressor engaged.

I’m guessing thermostat. I’ll monitor ECT while driving around. At what engine temp should the fan kick in with AC off?

Sixto
2014 SE 1.6 hatchback 136K miles

Last edited:

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
I mistook the compressor engaging for the fan engaging. The fan is dead. Hooked it up to the battery and no spin. Valeo brand. Figures. I can’t find just the motor. I have to buy an assembly with blades and shroud :(

Sixto

Last edited:
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Yes, the assembly unit is whats available. but it can be replaced with just 1 screw driver...ask me how I know ;).

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
O’Reilly had a Continental branded fan assembled in Thailand that works.

I used zip ties for the wires but where besides Ford can I get wire holders that press into holes in the shroud?

Sixto

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
I was able to pull out all the push retainers without damage, but my local NAPA has a great selection of clips and retainers. I wouldnt be afraid of the zip tie they are second only to duct tape for reliability, lol.