Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Help with windshield molding

Ch0rdster

City
Bangor
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Fiesta SE
Hi, my apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I recently purchased a ford fiesta and I noticed that the windshield molding is not in good shape. I found parts online for the side molding, but for the top molding I heard from the dealership that it only came from a windshield replacement. Do I need to replace my windshield in order to fix the top molding? Or is it possible to use silicone to fill it in? I also noticed that the door trim near the windshield is starting to peel, how would I go about fixing that?

Attachments

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The top-runner or rainwater guide, is just simple weatherstrip with a metal reinforcement to retain the curve shape for a longer period of time. The self-adhesive backing glue wears out after time - and for it to show lift, might mean that the windshield was replaced - how long ago? Hard to tell but this is lifting anyways so that means the OEM windshield and the new one to replace it the weatherstrip and it were not "fitted" to each other. The rainwater guide molding pulling away is the proof of that - for the molding is put on after the windshield is fitted - so the weatherstrip itself tucks into and stays put under the glass edge of the OEM - so that is why they tell you to replace both to re-establish fitment for the trim.

As far as the window - it itself will have to be replaced as a WHOLE unit. the upper top portion of the windshield itself is left open - the rainwater collects and drains into a channel on the top the with the curve of the roof, water follows into and down the side molding. So if the top window channel is clear, it's OK and it's doing it's job.