Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Grinding sound after installing new starter on Ford Fiesta 2016 1.6L S

TRyan

City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2016
Hi all,

I recently had a starter problem. I put the new starter in and when I went to start it got a terrible sound before it kicked over and started running fine, but there was a "transmission malfunction service now" message on the display (I did disconnect the battery, so maybe this is from that and unrelated to the grinding?). I turned the car off, started it up again, and same thing - grinding like sound before the engine cranks and starts. Runs fine once its started.

I thought maybe I seated the starter wrong, so I took it out and put it back in. I inspected the teeth on the flywheel as best I could. The flywheel section I could see looked fine and so did the teeth on the new starter. I put it back in and the same thing happening. There is a grinding like sound and then it starts up fine. It sounds like the starter isnt engaging the flywheel right, grinding and then catching. I don't see what I can do differently to seat it properly though.

Any ideas on what is going on here and what I can do?

Thank you

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The elephant in the room says to try another starter - especially if this one is used, for the starter itself can turn a lot but if it's having problems engaging - continuing to use it will wind up having to replace not just the starter but the flexplate/flywheel too.

I'd look into checking to see if the PCM is engaging the circuit to the starter right - if the solenoid takes too long to throw and engage the teeth - the starter motor might start and wind up - and battering the teeth of the engagement until it meets a tooth to get enough power to turn that flywheel.

It needs a lot of power so if the connector is corroded or not seating well to supply that current - this can happen.

IT doesn't sound like it is synced right - the Solenoid has to engage before if not at - the time the throw occurs - if it's too slow or not enough power gets to the solenoid side before the full battery power gets to the higher torque starter motor - the throw mechanism that uses the solenoid to get power it can delay the throw or not have enough power in the coil to push the starter gear into and mesh with the flywheel BEFORE it gets a lot of torque - so the overrun clutch in the gear doesn't have a chance to find a tooth soon enough before the Starter main motor spins up.