Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Five speed manual problems

City
Victoria
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta SFE
I have a 2014 Ford fiesta SFE with a 1 L eco-boost and five speed manual transmission. Cars been running and driving great until the other day out of nowhere I couldn’t shift into fifth gear or reverse. I drove the car to work that way one time ,on the way home The shifter wouldn’t let me go into third fourth fifth or reverse. I could only use first second gears. i’ve checked the shifter and cables. They’re fine. clutch seems to be good. Has anyone had any troubles similar to this?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You can't shift up from 2nd or even into reverse but the Cables seem fine?

Does it still shift like it wants to go to the "H" pattern? OR is that H pattern gone? Like the shifter goes way up to the right or left to even get a gear?

Usually this means a service call to the shop. There are two cables that shift the arms, so if it seems "hard" to shift, then it needs lubrication - there's several threads about that around...but if the other cases are with you can't seem to find the upper gears, then the shifter forks, grinding noises howls onto the internals of the transmission - synchronizers - are damaged - that's a service call.

OP
S
City
Victoria
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta SFE
Thread Starter #3
The shifter will not move to the right to select third and fourth or fifth and reverse with the shift cables connected

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, This means it's serious, can you get under the car and locate the shifter cover plate (a plastic box held on by tabs) removing it will reveal something that looks like this...
1719535092250.png

If you can do this - remove the cover and get at it, and can use a small tip flat-blade screwdriver to pry off that C-clip - this helps to remove or move the larger metal arm so you can squirt some lube to make this pivot point loosen up and let you get into those upper gears.

The lavender colored spot on my transmission is that main pivot and the clip gets remove and kept off to the side while you work that lever free so you can lube it's shaft - then put the clip back on and reattach the cover.

If you can't - get it to that mechanic to help you!

OP
S
City
Victoria
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta SFE
Thread Starter #5
Yah I already checked that. I took cables cables off down below and tried to shift the transmission from below. The part of the shifter that pivots on that shaft moves freely left and right. It’s where the other cable attaches that won’t move

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Then it sounds internal to the box, will need a service call. The lower small pivot one is how the forks select the gears.

OP
S
City
Victoria
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta SFE
Thread Starter #7
Yah I already checked that. I took cables cables off down below and tried to shift the transmission from below. The part of the shifter that pivots on that shaft moves freely left and right. It’s where the other cable attaches that won’t mo

OP
S
City
Victoria
State
IL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 fiesta SFE
Thread Starter #8
The shaft that goes into the transmission to change gears should rotate and slide in and out to change gears. Mine only slides in and out (no rotation). I have the transmission on the bench and I’m waiting on that special 5th gear puller to disassemble the trans.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
IF possible - could you please posts photos of that work as you try to repair this?

We've been trying to develop a site that helps keep these things on the road as much as possible - since these vehicles are not made anymore - it would help out a lot.

Thanks!