Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Electrical quirks

atlbronco

Hi, i have a 2016 Fiesta SE hatch that has been pretty trouble free. However a few electrical quirks have shown up and I’m trying to figure out where to start.
Here’s a list of what’s been going on.

-a couple weeks ago i noticed the radio/CD cutting out for a second or two at random times.

-sometimes when I’d park it’d say “traction control off” on the radio display even though i never changed the setting and it was still on.

-Normally if i have the radio and turn the car off, then open the door the radio shuts off. Sometimes after i open the door the radio will go off and then on for a second before shutting off for good.

-twice I’ve gone to start and all dash lights go on like normal but no start. Turn the key back and try again and it starts.

No CELs. New battery in December and no corrosion on the terminals. What should i try or check? I did see how to do a a BCM reset and am wondering if that is a good thing to try? The procedure is to remove post positive and negative from the battery and touch the connectors (not terminals) and then remove the fuse for a minute. Put everything back together. Is that correct? Thanks.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
And while your resetting that thing, double check grounds and grounding points in the engine compartment right by the battery just under the Brake booster - there are two wires to two separate bolts on a small "ear" that is welded to a spot I just mentioned - if these wire show corrosion - you might want to redo them and re-solder their wires onto fresh-new set of lugs to re-attach them to the frame ground - these wires are the main grounds for several types of systems, like Body control, Engine Control and Main Battery Ground - each ones it denoted by a bright color stripe on a black thick AWG wire - so Bright Yellow, Bright Green or Bright Blue striped wire are usually the grounds - the stripes are thin and if covered in dirt can be mistaken for other wires but you can't miss their mounting location.

1720492449620.png

A closer look

1720522889663.png
Note you can see the
Color Code striping.
I dabbed on a anti-sieze copper based protectant
I got from a local Auto parts store - to protect the
connections as best as I can​

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Considering your noticing it around the CD player and some Console controls - you have grounds elsewhere too.

Like in the Passenger compartment - under the rug...

You will have to loosen trim to fold back carpet to find these - they are by the seat bolts for both passenger and driver - right by the sill.
1720522801445.jpeg