Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Coolant for 2014 US spec 1.6?

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
What’s the spec coolant for a US 2014 1.6 without turbo? The manual capacities and specifications section has neither capacities nor specifications. The section on checking coolant talks about color only. What’s in the reservoir is a deep blood orange if not red and smells like Prestone from last century.

I see Prestone brand Dex Cool marked for GM vehicles. We had a GM that used Dex Cool and it was orange soda orange. I see Peak and Zerex brand American car coolant that looks orange.

I’m familiar with Toyota red coolant which smells different and leaves a residue.

Sixto
2014 SE 1.6 136K miles

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
There was a chat going here about coolant, types and some differences.
Orange-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D or WSS-M97B44-D2 (Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant)
The OEM requires an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant, which would have been Orange from the factory. However, what ever you are currently using you should stick with unless you flush the system and swap for another type. Yellow would also be possible as it meets the same requirements and has the same additive package as the orange but includes silicates which coat internal components to provide an additional layer of protection from corrosion and build up.

OP
T

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! I don’t know what’s in there and neither does the previous owner.

I have two other cars, one a Ford, that use Zerex G-05. I might switch to that if that’s what you mean by yellow vs coolant from the ‘70s.

Sixto
2014 SE 1.6 hatchback 136K miles

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Thanks! I don’t know what’s in there and neither does the previous owner.

I have two other cars, one a Ford, that use Zerex G-05. I might switch to that if that’s what you mean by yellow vs coolant from the ‘70s.

Sixto
These cars came with orange coolant, but the yellow is compatible and improved. Orange is out, yellow is in. When I change mine, it will be the newer coolant, for the reasons SyntheticAtmophere already stated.

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
I would hazard a guess that you have old Orange coolant in the car as it does darken with age. Red coolant is cherry red for sure.
You could do a complete flush, which might be a good idea if the coolant is aging out.
Going forward I would suggest what I do...I drain 4L of coolant from all our vehicles and refill with fresh yearly. This maintains a static level of quality to the coolant at all times instead of running the fluid to depletion then flooding with fresh. I do it in time for the winter season where I can adjust for the freezing temps if necessary.

**Always use pre-mixed or concentrated with distilled water. Coolants react with calcium and magnesium commonly found in tap water.

Last edited:
OP
T

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Thread Starter #6
What’s the spec or brand example of yellow coolant? Zerex G-05 as spec’d for a Ford 5.4 is usually described as gold. It lists a different WSS number than you provided above. It’s HOAT rather than OAT.

I see yellow WSS-M97B57-A2 spec coolant described as P-OAT.

Sixto
2014 SE 1.6 136K miles

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Zerex G-05 is Gold, and it not compatible with the Yellow, 2 different products.
Either yellow-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B57-A1 or WSS-M97B57-A2 (Motorcraft® Yellow Antifreeze/ Coolant), orange-colored engine coolant approved to Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D or WSS-M97B44-D2 (Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant), or a combination of both engine coolants. These are the specs for the Fiesta. Fords Orange spec'd above is any Dexcool compatible product. That would make it easier to ensure full compatibility.
Unless you are willing to go to Ford and buy coolant there, getting an aftermarket brand to 100% be the same product is rare. Sometimes people have been able to chase down Supplier info such is the case with the Zerex Gold.
However many Prestone, Peak or Jobber brands will be listed as universal for all types. I dont buy it, its like pulling the trigger with your eyes closed. Ive posted it before somewhere I dont like to mix types or even brands. Its the safe option.
I therefore have 4 brands of coolant for Mazdas, Ford, Massey Ferguson & a JCB diesel backhoe. :unsure:
I do miss the days where all you had was a jug of concentrated "electric green sweet smoothy juice" for everything cars/trucks/tractors

OP
T

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Thread Starter #8
Thanks again!! Peak Yellow Ford/Lincoln and Zerex Nitrite Free Ford Truck(!) are WSS-M97B57-A1/2 spec yellow coolant.

Is there a radiator drain or pull the lower hose?

Sixto

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
...Is there a radiator drain or pull the lower hose?

Sixto
Unfortunately Ford did not think to provide such a valuable item. However the hose is very accessible and its pretty easy to meter the flow if you go slow.