Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Click start cranks too long

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
It feels like click start keeps the starter turning longer than necessary. It’s always taken more time to start when cold like fuel pressure is low but in every start it sounds like it could release the starter sooner. Is there something to check?

Sixto
2013 SE 1.6 hatchback 134K miles

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
It could be that your starter is going out. If there are no other variables, that's it.
Your car is old, and the Fiesta is really susceptible to electrical issues from corroded grounds, wires, and old batteries.
If you're able, go through the engine bay and make sure that all your wires and grounds are clean. Check wires and connectors.
A loose wire or a dirty ground can cause all kinds of havoc.
If you can see that everything is reasonably OK, then don't replace the starter until it no longer wants to start the car.
Older car, lots of miles, lots of starts. Just a normal wear part.

OP
T

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! Yes, it could be the starter is slow to retract the Bendix gear. Chasing bad grounds and connectors is unmotivating :) I’ll wait for it to get worse.

Sixto
2013 SE 1.6 hatchback 134K miles