Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Cigarette lighter (usb port) on/off together with car

Uberdonut

City
Nonyabusinus
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta mk4 2002
Greetings y’all,

i just replaced the cigarette lighter with a usb port. Super nice but unlike the radio unit, this one doesnt turn off when turning off the car. It does have a on/off button but its annoying to have to do that every single time. Is there a way to adjust the wiring or whatever to have it turn off when turning off the car?
Ford fiesta mk4 2002 (facelift) IMG_5656.jpeg IMG_5655.jpeg

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
You would have to rewire the unit to a keyed source. Ford generally wires 12V power ports/cigarette lighters to constant battery 12V.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Power points need better wiring than the small gauge stuff that is only suitable for "intermittent" use, such as the cigar lighter socket was originally intended to do.
If you move the connection to a constant source you would need to remember that anything you plug into that circuit absolutely will draw your battery down to zero unless it has built in auto shutdown capability.
I installed a powerpoint socket and dual usb A ports fixture that i wired to the rear window defroster circuit, which is the highest amperage circuit outside of the Alternator.
Doing that allowed me to draw power from a second battery that was connected through an isolated and fused circuit to power multiple LED lights and a few things like a coffee maker, a small fan and my internet tablet when i am camping. These heavy duty power outlets are generally available at truck plaza's or places that service large diesel trucks by major highways and interstate roads.
This is intended to be properly connected with a 12 volt power source and can draw up to three amps when all are in simultaneous use.
The maker of this component specifically states it is not to be used with a 12 volt electrical plug as it's connection to the electrical system! 17191257013896845392994731696320.jpg

Attachments

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
It is possible that it DOES turn off after 10 minutes. The lighter outlet in the rear of my car stays on for 10.
Just try that and see if it turns itself off. If it doesn't, yeah, I don't know what to do.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I know that the 12volt outlet at the back of the center console has constant power. The outlet close to the gearshift is keyon power and shuts down within five minutes if the ignition is turned off without opening any doors.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I know that the 12volt outlet at the back of the center console has constant power. The outlet close to the gearshift is keyon power and shuts down within five minutes if the ignition is turned off without opening any doors.
The back one turns off after 10 minutes in my car.