Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Bad wheel bearing or something else?

collumplz

City
suffolk
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2003 Fiesta LX
Recently my 2003 Fiesta LX (KG03 ZTU), has been making weird sounds in the back. First it was a strange humming sound which seemed to stop completely when I press on the brakes and start when i release.
Now the sound is alot louder and seems to be relative to the speed of the car. you can hear in the video the alternating sound which sounds like something grinding/rubbing (driver side only). It is sounds louder when turning sometimes and when going over a speed bump it occasionally stops completely, then returns a few mins later..
Is this the bearing or something else?
video: Thanks

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Immediately stop driving the car. This needs to be rectified before you drive it again. If the car needs to be moved to a shop or other location, get it towed.
It is possible that the bearing has failed. The last time I heard a bearing failure sound like that it was coming apart. You can grasp the tire and attempt to shake it, if the bearing is loose you will see movement.
There may be other issues responsible, possibly a brake issue, something rubbing or loose or stuck in the system. Removal of the tire and a good visual check is needed.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There are also other problems with something like this. Not only is the wheel bearing in the hub bad, but it can also set a check engine light and service engine now fault due to how the teeth of a rotating wheel on that hub, can rub against the sensor itself and wear out the sensor to a point it can fail causing the fault.

Many people in the mechanics side of things call this toothed-gear a "tone ring" which is what it makes when the sensor is active and sees the toothed gear as a many times interrupting gate making a pulse train - hence the tone which is what it sounds like to the system when its' properly working .

It's when you physically hear it, does that tone ring presence become noticeably loud(er) and if left alone - failure of the wheel.

To me, this is getting close to that moment, but there may be other problems including the Brake drums and their shoes, which if you have a broken spring - these noises would affect braking - as in the wheel would pull to one side due to the braking problem

So get underneath the car and check the springs - for they may have cracked or broke and now the wheel is resting in a position where your body weight can cause the tire to rub and the grating noise is from the springs rubbing against the broken edges.

OP
C

collumplz

City
suffolk
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2003 Fiesta LX
Thread Starter #4
There are also other problems with something like this. Not only is the wheel bearing in the hub bad, but it can also set a check engine light and service engine now fault due to how the teeth of a rotating wheel on that hub, can rub against the sensor itself and wear out the sensor to a point it can fail causing the fault.

Many people in the mechanics side of things call this toothed-gear a "tone ring" which is what it makes when the sensor is active and sees the toothed gear as a many times interrupting gate making a pulse train - hence the tone which is what it sounds like to the system when its' properly working .

It's when you physically hear it, does that tone ring presence become noticeably loud(er) and if left alone - failure of the wheel.

To me, this is getting close to that moment, but there may be other problems including the Brake drums and their shoes, which if you have a broken spring - these noises would affect braking - as in the wheel would pull to one side due to the braking problem

So get underneath the car and check the springs - for they may have cracked or broke and now the wheel is resting in a position where your body weight can cause the tire to rub and the grating noise is from the springs rubbing against the broken edges.
Thanks for the info! I'll check under the car and see whats up. I'll also get it on a jack and see if any play in the bearings. I haven't drove the car since recorded that video in case it was a braking issue. :)