Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

AC problem Fiesta mark 5/6 1.3 Duratec

City
Lisbon
State
Non-US
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
2023 Nissan Qashqai
Hello, we're looking to buy a cheap first car for our daughter and found a clean mark 5/6 Fiesta 1.3 Duratec. Seller says Aircon working but needs recharged. From previous experience with a Mini Cooper, I know that this could mean a leak, which I also know can be difficult and time consuming to find. Can anyone give me a very rough idea what the worst case scenario could be (cost of materials & time) if we had to replace the whole AC system? Thanks very much

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
If the system has a leak, you only need to replace the failed component(s). Usually the problem area is with the condenser or the supply/return lines connected to it. The most cost effective course would be to have a garage leak test the system with a dye. Sometimes the garage can just pressurize the system and listen for the leak if it is a severe one.
If the compressor is cycling on and off but the system isnt providing adequate performance, it may need a recharge or has a small leak.
If the compressor isnt turning at all, as time passes other components can fail such as the compressor itself or the clutch.

OP
M
City
Lisbon
State
Non-US
Country
Portugal
What I Drive
2023 Nissan Qashqai
Thread Starter #3
If the system has a leak, you only need to replace the failed component(s). Usually the problem area is with the condenser or the supply/return lines connected to it. The most cost effective course would be to have a garage leak test the system with a dye. Sometimes the garage can just pressurize the system and listen for the leak if it is a severe one.
If the compressor is cycling on and off but the system isnt providing adequate performance, it may need a recharge or has a small leak.
If the compressor isnt turning at all, as time passes other components can fail such as the compressor itself or the clutch.
Hi SyntheticAtmosphere,and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and leaving such a detailed reply. Good, it doesn't necessarily sound like a huge issue and even if it is a condenser, it probably won't cost a fortune to replace. Thanks again,

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To help, the shop - after testing or thru inspection - they may buy a kit - that replaces several components.

However, the kits are non-refundable installed - so if they find the leak is elsewhere, the parts they may need to replace are also going to add to this level of cost.

https://www.partsgeek.com/3tpxsb2-f...html?fp=pp&gbm=a&gad_source=1&cid=18313611776

The above link is just for a kit, compressor and it's seals - stuff like that, but if a hose has sprung a leak like at the Orifice and expansion valve seal, that hose and the mating seal for the connection to the evaporator on the passenger-compartment side is also replaced.

So the process of determination is up to how the shop does fix their AC units - so ask and have them go thru the process so you know what you're up against because in my experiences with AC units failing - they cascade and take out nearly the whole system due to poor seals and the longer it's not repaired the worse the seal mating surfaces corrode from the lack of seal due to water and the environment it's in just corrodes the h*ll of out the aluminum.

I have taken - removed the AC units and left them out permanently due to the jap-junk they are once salt and road dirt and water get into them, they are shot - and replacements are always costing more than they are worth. You have to remember how efficient it is when you only need AC a few times out of the year. Do I miss it? No, I liked the power in reserve it didn't need and by location I lived in - the need for AC was not a requirement - only a fancy option that needs a lot more gas from your fuel tank to run. Saves the motor and that pulley from a lot of stress when it's gone and will help the engine run cooler which helps everyone in the vehicle too.

But that's up to you when it comes to salvaging the cost effectiveness of this repair...

Last edited: