Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2016 Fiesta (DPS6) Inner Axle Bearing/Differential Bearing

AlekAuto

City
St. Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
02 GS300 (sorry, she's the fav)
Hello, everyone. I'm new here. Here's a video of what the axle is doing.
I'm a mobile mechanic who mostly works on Japanese vehicles, so I'm not overly familiar with Ford. A customer came in with a complaint of a grinding noise, like something was being dragged under their car. Happened mostly when braking, or turning.
My first guess was wheel bearing, but during my inspections, I saw that the sound was actually coming from the driver side axle. The thing that concerns me the most, however, is that the CV axle has an insane amount of play, more than I've ever seen.
This leads me to believe that the axle/differential bearing has worn out, but the issue is, I can't find any literature on how to replace this bearing, and it's not like a normal differential where you can open it up and service the gears/bearings if need be. I don't wanna take it all apart just to find there's a lip in the way and I can't get it out with a slide hammer, or that you need to remove the transmission to press a new bearing in, or something else like that.
It should be noted that the ball joint was also extremely worn out. I've advised the customer to find alternative transportation until they have the funds to get it worked on.
So, in the meantime, I figured I'd come here and ask you guys what you think. Has anyone done this job before, and if so, how is it done? Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for? What are the consequences of not replacing this bearing, so I can tell my client in more detail how urgent it is to get this done? The customer wants to know in particular if we can get away with replacing the axle, the axle seal, and the ball joint, but not the bearing, if the bearing isn't serviceable. Anything at all that you could tell me would be an enormous help.
Thank you very much.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
IF this is an Automatic, the transaxle might be covered under a replacement warranty due to several issues with the DSP transmission and the TCM that controls it.

Although I myself have not done this type of job - the issue around the Transaxle is as you thought - the bearings are a pressed in bunch and the transaxle itself can be replaced as a single unit. Only - IF the transmission seems sound - to the best of my knowledge (and others are free to chime in here) there is a no rebuild kit available to help with this due to the tolerances that are required to keep these bearings in place and floating are left to the truss/crossmember case design this things has.

However, that freeplay - if it's possible to be ruled out - has the integrity of the axle ok? Have you pulled out the axle? The splines that it has to "Grab" onto the main spyder gearing as a differential - can also have a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and part of the mess you're dealing with is the fly-apart the differential had - so the internal damages LSD's can generate are severe and to offer any advise it may be easier, simpler and even cheaper to buy a used system than to spend the time and labor on it - only to find it won't get put back together any time soon without a serious effort in a teardown and rebuild.

Check the placard on the Door panel - there is a part of the VIN certification label that tells of the type of transmission it would have...
1723774506280.png

So not sure where to take this but hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
A

AlekAuto

City
St. Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
IF this is an Automatic, the transaxle might be covered under a replacement warranty due to several issues with the DSP transmission and the TCM that controls it.

Although I myself have not done this type of job - the issue around the Transaxle is as you thought - the bearings are a pressed in bunch and the transaxle itself can be replaced as a single unit. Only - IF the transmission seems sound - to the best of my knowledge (and others are free to chime in here) there is a no rebuild kit available to help with this due to the tolerances that are required to keep these bearings in place and floating are left to the truss/crossmember case design this things has.

However, that freeplay - if it's possible to be ruled out - has the integrity of the axle ok? Have you pulled out the axle? The splines that it has to "Grab" onto the main spyder gearing as a differential - can also have a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and part of the mess you're dealing with is the fly-apart the differential had - so the internal damages LSD's can generate are severe and to offer any advise it may be easier, simpler and even cheaper to buy a used system than to spend the time and labor on it - only to find it won't get put back together any time soon without a serious effort in a teardown and rebuild.

Check the placard on the Door panel - there is a part of the VIN certification label that tells of the type of transmission it would have...
View attachment 9492

So not sure where to take this but hope this helps!
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of, was that the differential on these wasn't gonna be serviceable. I know on Toyotas, you can pull the needle bearings right out of the differential with a bearing puller and that usually solves the problem, but this seems to use the same type of carrier bearing design that Ford's actually serviceable differentials use, which if you're correct, means trying to go that route may cause more harm than good, if I'm understanding correctly. DPS6 transmissions are an absolute travesty.
I think before touching it, I should have my customer take it to Ford and see if they can do it on warranty and just go from there.
Thanks again.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I think before touching it, I should have my customer take it to Ford and see if they can do it on warranty and just go from there.
Thanks again.
That is the best option - ATM

Keep us posted!

Thanks!

OP
A

AlekAuto

City
St. Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
That is the best option - ATM

Keep us posted!

Thanks!
Unfortunately, Ford is trying to give me the runaround on it. Called the dealership, who told me to call corporate, who told me to call the Department of Transportation, who told me they'll do an investigation.
I was told the reason this specific one isn't part of the settlement is because it was built in March and the settlement vehicle are ones with build dates starting in June. Clearly, the design of the transmission itself is the problem, so they should all be recalled, but whatever.
Looks like I'm gonna have to try to fix it myself unless someone else has a better idea. I absolutely despise the way these transmissions are built to be as unserviceable as possible.