Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2011 ford Fiesta SE (manual trans) overheating

XAkira

City
Chelmsford
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SE
This happened about two hours ago. Car was overheating so I shut off and let it cool down then made the drive home (1 hour) with hood partially open for extra air and didn’t turn on the AC. Made it home with no issues. I’ve changed waterpump and thermastat about a month ago. Fan turned on (just checked), there are no leaks, radiator looks ok and coolant level is good. I’m stump.

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Were you driving at highway speed or in traffic when it overheated?

Sixto
2013 SE 1.6 hatchback 135K miles

OP
X

XAkira

City
Chelmsford
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
I was in parking lot with a little traffic going no more than 20 mph

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Could there be air in the cooling system?

tabijan

City
Knoxville
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 SE hatchback
Overheating at low speed then fine at a higher speed(?) home I’d guess a hiccup with the fan. Check the contacts of the relay/s if it has relay/s and also of the fan controller. Does the fan spin freely? Is there axial or radial play in the fan? Maybe the brushes are worn.

Sixto
2013 SE 1.6 hatchback 135K miles

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Check the Coolant tank - look for stains from seeping - like around the ports.

1722185981853.png

This might indicate that the cooling system saw a big spike and vented out pressure, but it possibly also means a compromised head gasket too - from pressures inside the motor leaked into the cooling system and cracked open the coolant tank.

When you're in a parking lot, that Fan should operate several moments up to minutes and shut off, but if it's not and you're feeling and sensing the engine overheating - you can turn the AC on, if you hear the fan then, then continue to use it in AC mode - its the only way the system can override that (possibly failed) cooling sensor fan system. But remember to keep the heat setting to mid-point - might make it uncomfortable but the issue is that the sensor is affected - it's not telling the fan to kick on.

IF you turn the AC on and that Fan doesn't kick on, Then Stop! Pop open the hood and find the engine compartment fuse box, the owners manual and look for the relay and or fuse to the fan - these need to be checked - pull the fuse and even swap the relays - see if the system can recover and use the AC - it's the only way the fan even can come on - to get you to some help and replace the relay as you can and swap them back to their correct positions when this threat is over.

• Additional note: This comes from experience, for if the cooling fan sensor does not work, the system will never know it's going to start overheating and cause a catastrophic failure - so the issue of "Why are you using the A/C?" is to override the failed cooling system that would have controlled the Fan. The normal cooling Fan operation it would otherwise normally have. No Fan and it's overheating is a sure sign of the sensor or Fan failure - even the Relay can fail - so another option is needed. The AC system works when the compressor is on, but the AC system also controls the Fan so if the Fan does not come on in using the AC the Cooling Fan and it's shroud need to be inspected and even replaced - for if the fan can't kick on - any warm 80F or above day will kill your engine simply from the heat it can't take away even at highway speeds. When you have no AC and the Fan will not work, then stop and get a tow to get serviced - it's far cheaper to pay that bill than to pay for a new engine.

Last edited: